Monday, March 12, 2012

The first step back..

I was 29 and had been a atheist for about 12 years when God acted. I was in a situation, in my own home, when I was very, very frightened. My husband was at work and my two children were at school and I was absolutely terrified. In my desperation, crouching behind a chair and with my eyes tightly shut I prayed "IF there is a God, DO SOMETHING!" Immediately and incredibly I felt a presence close to me in the room. My eyes were closed and I didn't open them but I felt this definite, calming presence near me. It was an unmistakeable and quite definite presence. I don't know how long it lasted, it was probably only a few seconds, but it changed my life. I just knew 4 things, I don't know how I knew but I was totally sure of them:

The presence was Jesus.
He had come when I was desperate.
He was real, God was real.
I was an atheist no longer.

When I opened my eyes I saw that my prayer had been answered and the threat I was facing had gone. But in a way it didn't matter. I realised I'd been blessed in a way that I didn't deserve. Why would God bother with someone so insignificent as me? I was awed and humbled as my new life as a Christian began.

But it was only the first step on a long, long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment