Sunday, March 25, 2012

Coming Home

Most of my spiritual lfe seems to have been, what I call "Suddenlies". Suddenly, I lost my faith, suddenly I regained it again. Now I had another sort of "suddenly". I had been fiercely resisting the strong impression that I should return to the Catholic Church but one day I happened to be walking past a Catholic Church, on my way to do some shopping, when I heard a voice in my head saying "NOW!" Ever since my conversion I had tried my hardest to do what I thought God wanted me to do, so I went into the church and there was a priest hearing confessions. I went into the confessional and told the priest it was 16 years since I had been a Catholic. He asked me why I had come back now...and I said...I was SO dramatic in those days... "I can't escape God any longer!" He said incredulouly "WHAT????" So I back tracked hastily and just said I thought I should.

So I was back, I have read so many reversion stories about people coming back to the Church with great joy, and I wish I could say that was how I felt, but I didn't, I just felt I had done what God wanted so I had to get on with it. I was very surprised at how much the church had changed: no Latin, the priest faced the people, everything seemed more relaxed and, in a way, less holy. But I was OK with the changes, and my children and I changed seamlessly from Anglican to Catholic together.

No comments:

Post a Comment