Saturday, March 31, 2012

Confessional Joy.

I have long been frustrated with going to Confession. I've had priests who suggest that it is really a waste of time coming, priests who have advocated 'celebrating' my sins by learning from them, and a priest who tries to discuss what in my childhood caused these sins. All these have really put me off going to confession; how I have longed for the old days when the priest was hidden and after a a few words of advice would absolve me.

Today, on Palm Sunday, God answered that deep longing. I went to my beloved Latin Mass and we were told that Father would hear confessions after Mass. I was full of awe at God's goodness I went into the confessional and saw that our dear elderly priest was behind a curtain. He listened quietly to my sins, gave me some wise thoughts to ponder, explained ways I could make a BETTER confession, gave me a serious penance, and absolved me.

I left church full of a joy I haven't felt after Confession for years. God is SO good.

No comments:

Post a Comment