Sunday, July 1, 2012

Head Covering

When I go to the Latin Mass I love putting my "mantilla" or chapel veil over my head as I walk into the foyer. There is something so feminine, so beautiful and humble about wearing a head covering in the presence of Our Precious Lord. I remember when I came back to the church after some years away, as I walked into Mass that first momentous time, I instinctively put the silk scarf I was wearing round my neck over my head! It was an unplanned action, and I don't know why I did it because I had NEVER worn a head covering at Mass before or even thought of such a thing. I soon took the scarf off, as no one else in the church was wearing a head covering but I still think it was the right thing to do. I wear a unobtrusive hat when I go to the Novus Ordo now but it's not the same as a chapel veil. Sometimes as I put on my veil I think of all those women who for centuries covered their head in love and reverence before their Lord. Holy Spirit, may it come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment