Friday, June 29, 2012

Melchizedek

I have long been been fascinated by Melchizedek, every since I began seriously praying for priests. I first read about him in Genesis 14 and was intrigued by his description "Melchizedek, King of Salem and priest of the Lord Most High". What wonderful titles and it is first time the word 'priest' was used in the Bible. He emerged after Abram had won a great victory and offered him "BREAD and WINE' and blessed him! Isn't that amazing? It was usual in those days to offer a sacrifice but he offered bread and wine. Was he a forerunner of Jesus? Was he acually Jesus? What is certain is that it is a foretelling of the Eucharist! In Hebrews it says Jesus is "A priest forever in the line of Melchizedek" We used to hear that phrase in the Mass but don't seem to now. When I am praying for priests I pray to Blessed Melchizedek as well as other saints. Blessed Melchizedek pray for our priests.

No comments:

Post a Comment