Friday, May 18, 2012

No Life?

Some years ago I had an elderly neighbour who had been a devout Catholic for most of her life. She told me a very sad story. She had always been a daily Mass goer although she lived a very busy life, but she made sure she always went to Mass. One day the priest arrived to say Mass and he had a friend with him. My neighbour heard the visitor ask the priest "Who ARE these people who come to Mass every day?" The priest answered "Sadly, they are people who have no lives. Daily Mass gives them something to do!" My friend was so hurt and angry she stopped going to daily Mass. Within 5 years she had stopped going to Church altogether. Later, in her sixties, she joined a Protestant church. I thought of this recently when I was talking to our Priest and he was telling me that he was thinking of changing the time of the daily Mass. I suggested he asked the daily Mass goers what THEY thought but he said dismissively "Oh no, they can come at any time, I'm going to ask the Liturgy committee." I really felt that there was the same condescending attitude to daily Mass goers as my neighbour experienced. I hope not but I'm praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment