Sunday, November 20, 2011

Challenged

For my birthday my daughter bought me "Jesus of Nazareth" by Pope Benedict. I was very pleased to get it but to my horror and surprise she said to me that she'd bought it to remind me that my focus should be on Jesus and NOT on the church or the Pope! I assured her that Jesus WAS my focus and that the Church is basically just a vehicle to get me closer to Him. I think she accepted that.

But I felt challenged and spent a couple of days searching my heart because I know it can be easy to slide into making things like the liturgy, or the priests, or even something like the rosary the centre of our devotion. But after much prayer and thought I feel sure that although I love all these things, and many other aids to devotion, they are NOT where my heart is, they truly are vehicles to Him who is my Lord.

Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment